Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Holy Teapot

An excerpt from my forthcoming book

The Holy Teapot

Mr X: do you believe in the holy teapot?
Mr Y: The teapot has helped me get over a lot of tough times in my life. The feeling that there was this figure looking over me and looking after me has made me strong enough to face the toughest of challenges. When I pray I feel my burden getting lighter and the reassurance I get from the thought that the teapot is there to protect me from harm keeps me at peace.
Mr X: I don’t agree with you I feel you are belittling the efforts put in by you when you attribute all your success to the teapot.
Mr Y : The teapot created everything on the earth, and is the one driving everything in the universe. It is now revolving in space from where it directs everything on earth. These truths of the teapot are revealed in the holy book. And for hundreds of years the teachings have been handed down from generation to generation. It is true.
Mr X : Humans believed the earth was flat for a thousand years, did people not realize that it was false, they will realize that the teapot is a lie soon. Faith tells us not to question and reason whereas modern science is dynamic and ever changing because of its ability to challenge itself at every stage.
Mr Y: When did I say that I don’t believe in science? I believe in the scientific method as well but it is undeniable that science has not disproved the existence of the teapot.
Mr X: We do not have the technology or telescopes sophisticated enough to search for the teapot. Even if we had such technology we cannot possibly look everywhere in the infinite universe. Just because we cannot disprove something does not mean it exists. There is a lot of things u can’t disprove.
Mr Y: What about the things modern science is yet to explain like origin of the universe, complexities of the mind? How do you explain that?
Mr X: Science could not explain many things before like the human body, atomic structure and all but now it can. I am sure Science could explain most things and nothing would be left unexplained. The Big Bang theory seeks to explain the origin of universe. The theory will develop in the future.
Mr Y: Even if Big Bang theory is true how did the universe originate. Surely someone created it, the universe just cannot come out of nowhere.
Mr X (chuckles): You urself claim that nothing can come into existence someone has to be create the universe. Now I ask if the creator created the universe then who created the creator. How can he just come out of nowhere.
Mr Y: That makes no sense u are arguing for argument sake.
Mr X: Yaar, I will explain using an example. It’s like someone saying that all fires are hot and there can be no cold fires, and someone counter arguing saying that there is a special fire that is cold. U said there has to be creator as someone has to create the universe. When I said that then who created the creator u say the creator is someone that needs not be created and is omnipresent. If the creator can exist without its creator why can’t the universe exist without the creator? So u see why I don’t believe in the creator. Let alone believing that the creator was the teapot.
Mr Y: Who cares if you believe in it or not. Almost 1 billion people or 20% of mankind believes in the holiness of the teapot. Surely all of them cannot be wrong.
Mr X: My point exactly what about the remaining 60% who don’t believe in Teapotism. What about spoonism, another major belief in the world, they don’t believe what you say.
Mr Y: I don’t believe in what they say either, the thought that the world was created when the sea was churned with a spoon and the drops that fell off the spoon formed the land is ridiculous.
Mr X: The spoonists may think that your theories are equally ludicrous. So I see u don’t believe much in other faiths, I am no different than you.

I just don’t believe in one more religion than you.

2 comments:

  1. I just don’t believe in one more religion than you.

    to an atheist this makes him(her) believe in -1 number of religions :|

    book likh raha hai?! sahi...

    ReplyDelete